Monday, June 6, 2016

First Time Babysitting

Cory and I have been talking for a few months about how responsible Lexie has been getting, and how she is probably getting to the point where she can be in charge for a little bit.  I have huge reservations about leaving her in charge of Phillip.  He's almost the same size as her, and super strong for his age.  If he decides he wants to do something (or doesn't want to do something) or that he wants to hurt someone, there is very little anyone can do to stop him.  But, we figured we could give it a try, and waited to find the right opportunity.

Friday, Cory needed to get some work done on the car.  He took the car down to the dealership, and they brought him home in a shuttle while Lexie and I took Phillip over to my parents' house to catch the bus for the last day of school.  We both worked from home that day, and when Phillip was done with school Lexie and I went back over and picked him up.  About an hour later, the dealership called and said the car was done, but it would be a couple of hours before the shuttle could come get Cory and take him back to get the car.  We talked about it for a few minutes, and decided this was the perfect opportunity to see how she would do.  The dealership is only about fifteen minutes away, so she would be in charge for about half an hour.  Phillip was watching a movie, and was pretty content.  I went downstairs and told Lexie that we were leaving and she was in charge.  We talked about the rules and what was expected of her, and Cory and I left.

I panicked pretty much all the way to the dealership and back, thinking of all the things that could go wrong.  I imagined Phillip getting out of the front door while Lexie was in her room listening to music.  I imagined someone breaking in and hurting them.  I imagined the house catching on fire.  By the time I got home, I had worked myself in to a pretty little ball of nerves.  I unlocked the door, walked in, and the house was totally quiet.

I walked down the stairs, turned the corner to go to Lexie's room, and there she is, standing in the doorway as big and tall as she can make herself... holding a gun.  My face dropped, and I apparently looked pretty dang scared, because she looked at me and smiled, and said "good, your reaction showed me that this is good enough to scare anyone who breaks in."  She turns to the side, and I see the orange tip that she had been hiding behind her leg.  She had gone and gotten one of Cory's airsoft guns and took it and Phillip in to her room so that she could protect him.  I stood there for another second, trying to put my heart back in my chest, and then she realized that she may be in trouble.  She puts it down, turns to me, and says "I followed procedure... it was pointed at the ground and my finger was off the trigger.  It isn't even loaded.. I checked.  I just wanted to be able to scare whoever was breaking in so I could get Phillip out."

As we talked about it more, she told me that she had heard some noises and got scared, so she got Phillip and locked him in her room, and checked the entire house to make sure no one was in there before coming back down to her room and getting the gun so she could protect him.  While she was in there waiting for us to get home, she came up with a plan on how she was going to get both of them out of the house without anyone seeing them so they could be safe.  She thought about where the best place in the house was to be if anyone was breaking in, and how to barricade them so they had time to get out.  She had thought of everything that she could to make sure they were both safe.

I was amazed.  I had no idea this little girl had turned in to such a responsible person.  She had listened to absolutely everything we had been telling her for years about what you should do in certain situations, and how to take care of yourself.  She had listened to every rule Cory had given her each time they had gone shooting, and made sure she followed every single one.  She was calm, she was clear, she was everything I wish I could be in situations like that.  I am so proud of her.

When Cory got home with the car about half an hour later, I had Lexie come upstairs and tell him the story.  She got the gun and showed him how she'd been holding it, how she checked to see if it was loaded, how she had checked the house, and what her plan was to get Phillip out.  He beamed the entire time.  When she was done, he picked her up and gave her a hug, and said "That's my girl!!" I agree.  This whole situation is 100% Cory.  She definitely didn't get any of this from me.



No comments: