Saturday, March 4, 2017

Seven Years

Seven years.. it's amazing how it seems like it wasn't that long ago, but at the same time it feels like forever ago.  I tell Cory all the time that it seems like my life before him is something I watched in a movie, or a story someone else told me.  He has replaced every bad memory and every bad experience that I had before I met him, and healed every single crack and imperfection in my heart.  I have to try really hard to remember what my life was like before him.  It feels like I've known and loved him forever.

I woke up this morning with a few thoughts on my mind.  The first was my mom.  She tells us kids all the time that she has always prayed for our spouses - that they can be the people her kids need and that they can have the patience, understanding, and life experiences to understand us and love us the way each of us need to be loved.  She told me a long time ago that she knows Cory is the spouse she prayed for me to meet and love.  I am so grateful she did.  I know that this amazing husband that I have been blessed with is way more than I deserve.

That led me to my dad.  I remember watching Sound of Music with him growing up, and one of his favorite scenes is when the Baroness has broken up with the Captain, and he goes out to the patio and sees Maria.  The song they sing has always been one of my favorites, because I so understand the feelings they are singing about:

Perhaps I had a wicked childhood
Perhaps I had a miserable youth
But somewhere in my wicked, miserable past
There must have been a moment of truth

For here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not you should
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good

These thoughts led me to my parents relationship and marriage.  Growing up, they were an amazing example of what a relationship should be.  They give 100% of themselves to their marriage - no holding back, no grudges, no hurt feelings.  Their love is as pure and complete as it gets.  Every decision they make is made with the other person in mind.  I don't have the adequate words to say what my heart feels about their marriage, it's a feeling I don't know how to describe.

I always assumed that love like that was something that didn't exist in the modern world.  The only people who were lucky enough to have it were people who were of a different generation.  Our generation just doesn't work hard enough and is too selfish to have a love like that.  Then I found Cory.  I am in no way saying that our love is as great as my parents, but it's more than I ever could have hoped to have for myself.  He is my favorite.  My favorite person, my favorite supporter, my favorite shoulder to cry on.. he is my favorite everything.  He makes my heart so happy, and I am so grateful he is mine.  Each year I am amazed at how much more our love has grown, and how great our little life we've made for ourselves is.  I am so grateful I get to spend the rest of my life with him.  I really am the luckiest person alive.

No comments: